- When you have nothing to say, just say "I am sorry." Slience can be okay. Just be here for us.
- Avoid cliches. Such as, "Everything happens for a reason.", "You are young. You can have more.", "At least you didn't get to know the baby.", "God will never give you more than you can handle."
- Ask and listen. Ask "How are you?", but be ready to listen.
- Don't forget the Dad. He grieves also.
- Be specific in your offer to help. Saying "Call if you need anything," or "Let me know how I can help." are generic statements for grieving families. Not all people are willing to ask for help.
- Acknowledge the baby, and use their names.
- Remember special dates.
- Open communication.
- Check up
These are just some things to help because it is a hard topic. You can find more about these and others on the website below.